Making filing more interesting – part two

A few weeks ago my lovely other half spent a whole day doing our household admin. And we still had nowhere to put it. We hadn’t had much time to progress on the filing cabinet – we needed to speed up so we could start to use it!

So, after the clean up last time, it was a case of sanding down the cabinet using medium to rough sandpaper. The more you sand, the better the primer takes.

Got through a lot
Got through a lot

We took all the drawers out and took off all the handles. Some were filthy, so needed to be cleaned, again, and then something stronger was needed. So we popped to our friendly DIY store on Woodgrange Road for some silver polish. It’s funny how some things don’t need to evolve as they are already as good as can be:

SILVO - I remember this from my childhood
SILVO – I remember this from my childhood, works like a charm
What a difference (top vs bottom)
What a difference (top vs bottom)

Then it was time to start the primer. Two coats, on all surfaces (including the drawers and the insides. We are nothing but thorough).

Farrow & Ball Primer for Dark Tones (for metal)
Farrow & Ball Metal Primer for Dark Tones
The drawers were tricky, and drippy...
The drawers were tricky, and drippy…
Even the primer looks nice
Even just the primer looks good…
Primed and ready to go
Primed and ready to go

The primer dried pretty quickly over a day or two, and so, it was time to get the colour started. We were excited to see if we had picked well.

Inside first
Inside first coat (a Friday night paint job)
Top coat...
Top coat…(the next morning, note: daylight)
Now for the outside!
Now for the outside.
Et voila!
Et voila!

So, the two coats are on. And phew, we love the colour! (Blue Ground)

But next, and finally, the drawers need to be done. But, oh, they are not going to be easy…We can’t do all the sides at the same time as they need one clean side to stand up on. So, maybe that will be a job for me for this weekend.

This project has taken the best part of a month so far, but it is nearly there. And its been fun. It’s nice to see something you are making come together.

Final post and hopefully the finished thing coming soon. I, myself, can’t wait to see it.

Advertisements

Making filing more interesting – part one

It’s been a few weeks since I blogged. Hey, I guess I have been having a life outside my house! Yay me.

We’ve both been busy, and the house has been having a quiet period. And while it does we have been looking around for things to go in the house when its done. One thing we talked about getting for a while was a filing cabinet. Anyone that owns a house knows there is a lot of paperwork that goes with it. And while my professional filing strategy is filing paper in the BIN as long as I have a digital copy, that doesn’t quite work for household admin. You always need to know where to find your mortgage agreement, council tax bill, driving licence etc, so, we wanted a filing cabinet. And personally I think they are one thing that can be practical, but beautiful, if you get an old one or work one up. ┬áSo, we have been on the lookout.

A few weeks ago I visited this Discount Office Furniture warehouse in Manor Park, E12 after a recommendation by a family member. They have a great selection of used office furniture – desks, chairs, filing cabinets, bookcases – and the occasional gems. We went back last weekend for another look and found the below, and old 15 drawer filing cabinet which we liked the look of:

Complete with old stickers
Complete with old stickers

We talked to the guy in the warehouse about advice for revamping it, and the first step in the process was to get it all cleaned up, before sanding it down if we wanted to repaint it. So far, we’ve just managed the cleaning part but we have ordered some paint for the next instalment.

Cleaning it up actually took a while. It had a lot of residual glue marks from old stickers on it (why do people use stickers when the handles have a place to put paper labels?) – so we grabbed a bottle of white spirit, a bowl of soapy water and got cleaning:

Elbow grease
Elbow grease

I was on quality control duty while the other half white spirited and scrubbed at the leftover glue:

I sent a few back
I sent a few back

The inside was pretty filthy so I grabbed the soapy water and a scourer and got to work:

cleaning inside
Looking better

And then it was putting all the drawers back in, and drying it all off before making our own labels:

Cleaned up nice
Cleaned up nice

Pretty pleased with how its looking so far.

While making our own labels we found a few old ones from the previous owners. It seems this was no ordinary office filing cabinet:

Also found one that said 'Information Profiling'. Hmm.
Also found one that said ‘Information Profiling’. Hmm.

This may have held a few secrets in its time. And I’m pretty sure our paperwork will be far less controversial than the ‘Stop and Searches’ that were previously held in here.

While the original unit looks great, we decided that it might be interesting to paint it with a bright colour to make it more of a feature. We’ve picked ‘Blue Ground’ by Farrow & Ball which might not be a usual filing cabinet colour but we’ll see what happens. The next stages are to rough it up with sandpaper (apparently the rougher it is, the better the paint will take), give it a coat of primer and then two coats of the paint (Farrow & Ball do metal paint versions of all their colour options). We’ve gone for a silky finish rather than matt or gloss, which I hope will echo the original metal finish.

So, the paint has arrived and now we just need to find the time to get the next stage done. Which, is easier said than done.

Part two to come soon…